Sunday, March 4, 2012

So basically today consisted of our group experiencing an AMAZINGLY insightful tour of Dubai. We went everywhere from the Dubai Marina to the Suks (markets). I really had so much fun getting to spend my first FULL day here learning and seeing everything that Dubai has to offer. Just seeing the growth that has taken place in this city in just a few short years is incredibly remarkable. A fun indicator of the economic growth was to see how luxurious the Sheikhs palaces have gotten after the discovery of oil in this Emirate. It's also crazy how many resorts and malls there are in Dubai but I have to say being able to spend some time in the Atlantis Resort located on the Palm Jumeirah was one of my favorite parts of the tour. Dubai Museum was also not only fun but very historically rich. I truly enjoyed learning so much about the origins of such a financial mecca. Going to the Suks was an adventure in it of itself. Going to the Spice Suk was intense.....because the mixture of smells of all those spices sometimes made it difficult to breathe, but it really was great. The gold market was a lot to handle since you had people coming at you from the allies trying to get you to purchase "designer" products. All those merchants reminded me of that scene from Sex in the City 2 (good thing I saw that movie it really did mentally prepare me). I did love the fact that we had to take a boat ride to get to the Suks....LOVED IT!!!!

It really has been a LONG day and I know that as soon as my head hits the pillow I'm going to knock out but the best part of this entire trip is that everyday I'm seeing and participating in things that I would NEVER had before.


No comments:

Post a Comment